Thursday, August 25, 2011

What happens to my money?

Recently the government issued a statement suggesting the cut backs on Entitlement programs.  I thought this made sense until I saw what the government thought of as some of the programs and my husband asked me a simple question:  Why is Social Security an Entitlement program?  I said because you are entitled to it if you qualify.  Very simple answer. Right?  Not so much.  An hour of so later, with the help of several aspirin and iced tea, I finally understood what my husband was actually asking.  Welfare is an entitlement program, yet you don't pay into it.  Medicaid is an Entitlement , yet you don't pay into that.  You do get the help if you qualify, but you have not given one penny in the past to deserve.  Why is it, that a program I do pay into, falls into the entilement progam status?

Social Security is, by law, taken out of our paychecks every week, two weeks, or monthly.  It is the law. You pay it, no choice here.  You don't pay social security tax,  you can go to jail, pay fines, be audited, or have you wages garnished for a government debt.  None of this is good.  You have to pay it.  

The government is calling Social Security an Entitlement program and they want to cut it.  How can that be when we paid the government our money. They forced us to do it and now they don't want to pay it. Will they cut every tax paying citizen a check for the money they took, plus interest.  I think not.  Our social security investment was to provide for our retirement.  When they decide to cut social security we will be no better off than the tens of thousands of employees that lost their pensions to bad company practices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment