Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bright White

In America today, I almost feel I should be ashamed or embarrassed because I am white.  I should also mention I am a full figured, large chested, blue eyed blond haired woman.  I feel some days I am a walking stereo-type of each trait that society either wants or hates.  I have an AA-Business Administration and I am unemployed.  Not by choice.  Again a stereo-type.

 I am proud to be white. As white as the stars on the flag.  However, if I say this out loud to friends and a stranger over hears, I am a racist.  It is ok to be proud and black.  It is admirable to be an immigrant and find success in America.  Asian-American.  Another title to be proud of.  American-Indian. Proud to be the originals.  All these groups of people are free to voice their pride in their heritage.  I, as a white woman, do not enjoy that freedom.

In the land of the free, white people are often persecuted for the pride they take in their heritage.  White people constantly have to watch we say because what comes out of  our mouth can affect our jobs, our standing in the community, our ability to run for public office and even how we are treated when we shop.  I don't believe the majority of white people are racist or prejudiced.  We are just proud of who and what we are.  The word white is almost a dirty word these days.  The color white is the absence of everything and I am afraid, that one day, being white will mean the absence of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment